California Woman Dies from Lead Poisoning After Using Imported Hemorrhoid Ointment

 California Woman Dies from Lead Poisoning After Using Imported Hemorrhoid Ointment


In California, health officials have issued a stark warning following the death of a woman who suffered from severe lead poisoning after using a hemorrhoid ointment imported from Vietnam. The California Department of Public Health, in collaboration with the Orange County Health Care Agency, has highlighted the dangers of using this product, identified as Cao Bôi Tr Cây Thầu Dầu, which translates to Castor Oil Hemorrhoid Extract.

The unfortunate incident involved a woman from Sacramento who developed critical health issues from the ointment, which was found to contain a dangerously high lead content of 4%. The health officials emphasized that such a concentration of lead is considered highly hazardous, told Khqa.

The identity of the deceased has not been disclosed, but it is known that she obtained the ointment through social media platforms. A relative had sent it to her from Vietnam after she purchased it on Facebook. The agencies have strongly advised against the purchase or use of this ointment. They have urged those who may already have it to discontinue use immediately and to seek medical advice to check for lead poisoning.

The concern extends beyond the direct users of the product to anyone who might have come into indirect contact with it. Authorities are concerned about the circulation of this ointment in the U.S., although it is unclear if it is being directly sold within the country. The California Department of Public Health has issued guidelines for those in possession of the ointment to safely dispose of it.

They recommend sealing the ointment in a plastic bag and reaching out to local health officials for further instructions. Further complicating the situation is the marketing of the ointment. According to posts shared by Calaveras County Public Health, the product was promoted in Vietnamese-language Facebook groups as a “miracle” treatment for hemorrhoids, which may have contributed to its appeal and distribution among the Vietnamese community.

This incident has sparked a broader conversation about the safety and regulation of imported healthcare products, especially those sold through informal online channels like social media. The tragic outcome serves as a cautionary tale about the risks of unverified, non-standard medical products that can ultimately lead to severe health consequences. The health agencies continue to monitor the situation closely and coordinate efforts to prevent further incidents of lead poisoning from this or similar products.

Blood lead testing is the best method for identifying lead exposure,” the California Department of Public Health said. “Because other household members could have come into contact with the ointment, all household members should have their blood lead tested. Children are especially vulnerable to lead poisoning. “

The California Department of Public Health said symptoms of lead poisoning vary but added exposure to any amount of lead is harmful.

Symptoms, which can be mild, moderate or severe, include the following:

  • Fatigue
  • Irritability or mood swings
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Muscle or joint pain
  • Nausea; decreased appetite
  • Stomach cramps
  • Constipation or diarrhea
  • Feeling tired or sleepy
  • Headache
  • Tremor
  • Severe stomach cramping
  • Pins and needles, tingling, burning, or numbness in the hands.
  • Seizures, coma, and death.
  • Resources

Health officials urged anyone with questions to call California Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.

Related post